Three years of Plant Based Goodness

My family and I have been plant based for over three years now. It has been a great experience but not one without bumps in the road. I am going to share with you our experience so far so that maybe it will help you with your own journey. One of the hardest parts of changing your diet is dealing with food addiction. We all have our weaknesses and sometimes we give in to them. I will say though that our weaknesses come in a vegan package rather than something with animal products in it. That doesn’t make it ok but it is still a step forward from where we were before. My weakness happens to be Red Hot Blues corn chips. My kid’s weakness is baked goods and my hubby loves chocolate. There is nothing severely wrong with any of these foods except that they are processed and contain way too much oil and sugar. Some of our vices before going plant based were bacon, butter, sushi and more bacon.

My point is, that we are not perfect. We strive to eat as healthily as possible and when we do fall off the boat occasionally we try to be forgiving and just get on with it.

All of our health has improved. Before I started this journey, I was a bit overweight, having migraines all the time and had just started having heart palpitations. This was before I was 40. My husband was also overweight and was not feeling well overall. My children just didn’t have a whole lot of energy.

When we went plant based, I lost 25 pounds and my hubby lost 50 within the first three months. My heart palpitations had disappeared and I hadn’t had even one migraine! We were both feeling great and had tons of energy. Our kids were also much more energetic.

This was me before.

fullsizeoutput_72

And after!

jills introI also noticed that my thinking was much clearer and I seemed to be much more balanced emotionally. That went the same for all of us.

Another thing that I noticed was that my menstruation was much less painful and I didn’t have cramps or mood swings =) That was good for all of us!

Now, after 3 years, we have all kept our weight in check after learning to balance our eating after the weight loss. When we first started we were loosing weight really quickly even though we felt like we were eating an incredible amount of food. The difference was that this food was super nutrient dense. We were probably overindulging on the higher fat meals than we needed to but we were having fun adapting our regular food recipes to plant based versions.

After about a year we noticed that the weight loss had stopped and that we were starting to put a little bit back on. But, like I said before we were overindulging on the more decadent recipes that we had created. What helped us was a bit of a re-boot. We re-read Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman which is the book we read to get started. We were indeed overdoing it with what we were eating so we just had to tweek our menus a little. Once we did that our weight stabilized again.

Once you change to eating this way, it is easy to take it for granted and get a bit off track and eat more of the things that you shouldn’t because “its vegan, right?” Just because processed food is plant based or vegan, doesn’t mean necessarily that it is healthy. After time your body will realize the difference between the two ( vegan junk food or healthy plant based food ) and it will give you clear messages by making you feel physically not well.

Our bodies are miracle healing machines. Our bodies can heal themselves if you give them the right tools. I don’t know about you but I would rather thrive than just survive. Our bodies can survive on a lot of different things but that doesn’t mean we are going to feel well or function very well.

It is very evident in today’s world that a majority of the population is functioning on this level. Opioid use is out of control because people are looking to doctors to make them feel better. This couldn’t be more wrong. Almost any disorder of the body or mind is greatly improved and sometimes healed by eating a strict Plant Based Diet.

I am such a believer of this path. I have seen so many of our friends that have changed to a plant based diet and drastically improved the quality of their life. And of course I have the evidence from our own family’s experience.

I hope you will all give Plant Based Living a try and give yourself a gift of disease free longevity!

Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman is a great book to get started with as is watching the documentary What the Health!

Some other great resources:

1. Kate says:

I just love you and your family Jill. Thank you for being such an inspiration. Keep doing what you’re doing. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

Thank you so much Kate!

2. Angie Brummitt says:

I love your inspirational, authentic videos and delicious recipes! Keep them coming!

3. Liz King says:

Love your recipes and your positive encouragement. I, too, have been plant-based for about 3 years and saw the weight just fall off. Sometimes it’s still hard for me to bypass the sour cream and cheese in the grocery store but with reminders like yours, it helps to keep me remembering what this lifestyle has done for me.

4. phoenixraay says:

Wow what a difference in diet can make! Keep being inspirational!

5. Mark says:

Thank you for sharing. I’d like for you to make a granola that doesn’t use oil, honey, syrup or sugar. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a granola bar, just something I can sprinkle on a smoothie bowl or nice cream.

I actually have a recipe for that

This would taste great as a topping!

1. Mark says:

I don’t know how I missed that recipe, so thanks for pointing it out. I did make it yesterday and liked it. However, when I added it to my smoothie bowl this morning, the flavors went to a whole new level and tasted fantastic! Not bad considering this was my first homemade granola. If you have any more granola recipes, I’d love to try those too, especially one that uses peanut butter as the binding agent.

6. Kimberly Goff says:

I just watched your October 3rd youtube video I’ve just started my plant based journey myself. Thank you for your inspiration,,,, being Afro-carribean american this can be hard i already lost 6lbs even though my weight is high starting weight 197 lbs now 191 lbs my goal weight is 145 lbs….. But I’m doing this slowly with exercise so again I’m rambling thank You

Great choice Kimberly for going Plant Based! Good luck on your journey 🤗

7. Gwendolyn says:

Hello Jill,
    My darling fella and I drive transport back and forth across Canada. The truck is our home. I threw our all of packaged and processed food last time we were home. The man was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years ago, it was bothersome for him, but not a real problem. Now its a problem. I don’t know what to feed him. I have bought a vitamix, a breville juicer, a large bar fridge and soon a dehydrator. How and what do I feed him while moving down the road? I think I can do this, but being responsible for his life is a little overwhelming.

I can’t give you any medical advice but if I wee you I would contact the True North Clinic in CA. They can consult with you over the phone and they are doctors that use Plant Based nutrition.

I just make recipes to share and hope you enjoy them.

I hope that everything goes well. I think going Plant Based is the best thing as far s food goes for healing.

8. Kelly L Kurcina says:

Really enjoy your blog, I just discovered you tonight! I think that is so wonderful your whole family went plant~based. I have been plant~based for over 8 years (my husband 6) We really can inspire others around us when they see how vibrant and glowing we become! I am on another journey now of deeper healing (mostly raw/juicing/high fruit/low fat/dry fasting/herbs) and that is a GAME~CHANGER at age 48 as I feel 18 and my husband is on board with me too!

9. I can’t help but wonder where Dr McDougall, Dr. Greger, Dr. Barnard and several other PBWF advocates are not mentioned inyour recommendations

Dr. Fuhrman’s research is the one we really adhere to. The others are good too but I like to keep things simple. We don’t really follow the starch based idea from Dr. McDougall as you can probably tell from my channel. Not that it is bad, but it just doesn’t work very well for our family.

10. Wardie says:

Thanks for the reply, Jill.
    Different strokes, I get it and respect that.
    My wife and I are septarian empty nesters so it is easy to stick to a WFPB diet with no processed oils. We read everything we can get our hands on, but generally follow our big 5 – Dr’s. Barnard, Greger and McDougall, Campbell and Davis simply because we get the results we hoped for by following their research and findings.
    Dr. Barnard’s latest book, ‘The Cheese Trap’ is a a standout in my opinion.
    Keep up the good work. We need more folks like you on this troubled planet.