Bolognese is not your average pasta sauce. It is a flavorful, vegetable packed sauce that is traditionally served over wide pasta noodles and is a hearty meal in itself.
Complement Supplements: our viewers SAVE 15% OFF at checkout with code: PlantBasedEasy
Wellbean: our viewers SAVE $5 OFF at checkout with code: PlantBasedEasy
Herbal Face Food: our viewers SAVE 20% OFF at checkout with code: PlantBasedEasy
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup white wine, or vegetable broth
- 28 ounces fire roasted tomatoes, pureed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- nutmeg, sprinkle
- 2 tbsp organic rolled oats, blended into 1/2 cup water
- 10 oz gluten free pasta
- Sauté onions for 5 minutes using a little bit of water to keep the onions from sticking.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released all of their water and the mushrooms are almost dry.
- Add the carrots, celery, tomato paste and white wine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for at least 30 minutes on medium low heat.
- Remove bay leaves.
- If you want to add just a hint of creaminess, then add the blended oat and water mixture to the sauce.
- Serve over a wide noodle pasta like linguini or fettuccini.
Love this FREE recipe? Help us make more!Become a Supporting Member today!
Calories: 257kcalCarbohydrates: 49gProtein: 9gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0.2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.1gSodium: 425mgPotassium: 405mgFiber: 4gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 4103IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 76mgIron: 2mg
Most other vegan Bolognese recipes consist mainly of tomato sauce with lentils. This recipe is so much more interesting and creative! Love all the veggies. 🙂
Made this tonight and the entire family loved it! Of course pasta with anything is good, right? Just a note for others, dice the carrot really small unless you want some crunch. Mine were a little course, and even cooking the sauce for 1 hour left a little crunch…we thought it was great and my daughter wanted the recipe. Thanks Jill for another winner!
We had this tonight and it was the bomb! My carnivorous hubby even thought it was delicious.
I made this tonight and it was delicious! Everything about it was spot on . . . even the crunch of the celery and carrots. I am gluten free and found a new pasta which worked perfectly with it. The brand is Liviva Fettuccine noodles and the ingredients are organic soybeans and water. Held up wonderfully while cooking and was delicious with this Bolognese sauce! Thanks for this recipe! 🙂
I would really like to recommend this absolutely delicious sauce! It is packed with flavour and really satisfies the taste buds. My 13 and 9yr old gobbled it up as did my husband! On the weekly list it shall go! Bravo to Jill who so carefully and cleverly crafts these truly wholesome and delicious recipes!
I would love to make this but was wondering if it freezes well?
I haven’t tried freezing it but I think it would do ok
I’ve now made this twice – both times for omnivores. Both times it was a hit and I will be making it again soon I’m sure! The first time I used veggie broth and no wine or oats, served over linguine noodles. The second time I used both the wine and oats, served over penne noodles. Both were great but next time I think I’ll skip the wine and oats and serve over penne. Definitely recommend chopping the carrots finely. This took a little bit of time, so next time I might try grating them or chopping them finely with help from my food processor.