I have fond memories as a child of enjoying a sweet and tart glazed apple fritter from the local donut shop but I also remember the sleepy sugar crash that would follow. This plant based refined sugar free recipe is a way to enjoy the delicious taste of an apple fritter without the hazy sugar crash. Perfect eaten alone or paired with a comforting warm drink.
This episode is sponsored in part by:
Noochy Licious Nutritional Yeast: As a special discount for our viewers: Save Up to 55% OFF Your Order
1 Granny smith apple or another kind of tart apple, diced
1 1/2 cups (120g) rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon flax meal
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup (112g) pitted dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (240ml) unsweetened plant milk
1/4 cup (35g) cashews or almonds
1/4 cup (60g) pitted dates
1/3 cup (78ml) water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F(204°C).
- Grind oats into a flour in the blender.
- Add to a mixing bowl along with baking soda, baking powder, flax meal and cinnamon and stir well.
- Stir the apple chunks into the flour mixture.
- Add the dates, vanilla and plant milk to a blender and blend until dates are completely pulverized.
- Pour into the flour mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Place 8 spoonfuls of the mixture onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add glaze ingredients to blender and blend until dates are completely pulverized.
- Drizzle glaze over fritters.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days.