These Plant Based Shortbread cookies are perfect for dipping in a generous mug of your favorite comforting hot beverage. This quick & easy vegan shortbread cookie recipe delivers that familiar, lightly sweet, dense, slightly dry texture that evokes the fond memories of holidays with the grandparents. The base cookie can be spruced up with added sesame seeds (or even chocolate chips) or enjoyed plain as a satisfying healthy treat.
1 1/2 cups (180g) almond flour
1 1/2 cups (120g) rolled oats (ground lightly into a flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup (169g) pitted dates
1/3 cup (167g) tahini
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup (78ml) water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Stir together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Blend dates, tahini, vanilla and water in a blender until smooth, adding a tablespoon more of water if needed to get things blending.
- Stir the date mixture and flours together.
- Divide into 12 balls.
- Smash each ball flat on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Optional: Before baking, roll each ball in sesame seeds, press flat on baking tray and bake.
By the Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show on YouTube