Pepperoni is one of those foods that I knew even before we went plant based was in no way good for us but was oooooh so delicious. There are vegan pepperoni products out there but they tend to be full of salt, oil, gluten, and other junk that makes even the vegan option unhealthy. I had pretty much given up on having pepperoni in my life when a few weeks back we had a breakthrough. Our recent recipes for meatloaf, burgers, and now pepperoni are all based on a similar idea of creating a solid base of texture with similar ingredients to our gluten-free bread and then enhancing them with all the seasonings and flavors of pepperoni! This mind blowing plant based pepperoni recipe is so incredibly easy to make and is full of that unique pepperoni flavor all while being refined oil and gluten free!
- ½ cup buckwheat groats
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, raw
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons onion powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons fennel seeds, lightly ground
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons Bragg liquid aminos
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
- 3 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- Soak the buckwheat groats and quinoa for at least 6 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until uniform but not so long that it turns to paste.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Form the mixture into a long tube shape with your hands using the parchment to roll it gently so that it looks nice and smooth.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cook completely and store it in the fridge. It sets up more firm once it is refrigerated.
- Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Love this FREE recipe? Help us make more!Become a Supporting Member today!
Calories: 142kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 5gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.01gSodium: 95mgPotassium: 241mgFiber: 6gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 572IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 41mgIron: 2mg