This recipe has been a long time in the making. The seasoning and flavor of the meatball is pretty straight forward but getting the right texture without using the typical processed vegan ingredients like wheat gluten has been an interesting challenge. I think we finally have this gluten-free vegan meatball nailed and can wait for you to try it! You may want to pair it with our marinara sauce to boot!
This recipe is brought to you in part by our sponsors:
1 onion, diced
8 ounces mushrooms, diced
1 cup extra firm tofu, drained
1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon crushed fennel
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
1/4 cup red wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
14 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
2 cups cooked buckwheat
2 tablespoons flax meal
1/2 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté the onions, mushrooms and tofu together until the onions are translucent.
- Add the spices, wine and balsamic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients along with the cooked ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mixture sticks together and looks well blended, but not so much that it looks like paste.
- Roll mixture into balls a little smaller than a golf ball and place them onto a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Flip meatballs over and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.