Banana pudding with the little vanilla wafers layered in was standard fare for many growing up but is loaded with sugar, dairy, and artificial flavors and colors. This weeks recipe is a whole food plant based twist on this popular dish. Made with real bananas, this pudding whips up into a creamy and delicious pudding that is as good for you as it is for dessert (or breakfast). I like to make it along side my peanut cookies for a tasty treat.
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup cashews
2 1/2 cups water
4 medjool dates (8 deglet)
1 ripe banana
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Blend the rolled oats, cashews and water together in a blender.
- Strain the mixture with a metal mesh strainer or plant milk bag.
- Pour liquid back into the blender and add the dates, banana and vanilla.
- Blend until dates are pulverized.
- Pour into a saucepan and cook on medium high while stirring with a whisk.
- Cook until desired pudding consistency.
- Pour into a sealable container and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, serve with sliced bananas on top.