Sauerkraut is a super nutritious fermented condiment that is great for your gut health. Your gut microbiome, also known as your second brain, plays an essential roll in the way that you absorb nutrients from your food. Fermented foods are full of probiotics and enzymes that increase the health of your gut microbiome allowing for better digestion and enhanced immune system function. You can eat a tablespoon or two a day as a side or add it to the top of one of our delicious Carrot Dogs.
1 medium sized cabbage (about 2 lbs)
1 Tbsp non-iodized salt
- Wash hands thoroughly
- Take off 1 outer leaf and set aside
- Cut cabbage into thin strips
- Place cabbage strips into a large bowl
- Sprinkle salt over cabbage
- Massage cabbage with your hands for at least 5 minutes or until there is about 1/3 cup of liquid in the bottom of the bowl
- Place cabbage into a 2 qt mason jar and press down with your hand until liquid covers cabbage
- Fold set aside cabbage leaf in half and press down onto the top of the cabbage in the jar until liquid comes up around it.
- Screw on fermenting lid and place on counter for at least 7 days - The Easy Fermentor Lids Used in the Video