Puerto Rican Beans

Ready to give your tastebuds a treat? Try these smoky flavored Puerto Rican Beans! The flavor is good enough to just eat it by itself but you could also eat this over rice. Beans from one of my favorite companies Rancho Gordo was the inspiration for this crazy delicious recipe. If you are a thrill seeker, use fresh jalapeños instead of pickled ones!

1/2 Red bell pepper, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeños or 1/2 Tbsp fresh
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 potatoes cubed
1 cup water
1 pound dry beans, precooked or 4-5 cans

Add 3 Tsp water to a skillet. Sate the bell peppers, onion, garlic and spices for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover and simmer for 20 min.

1. jgrelloh@aol.com says:

I don’t see any beans in the recipe.

Sorry about that. It is there now. Thank you for catching that. It is 1 pound dry beans, precooked or 5 cans.

2. Susan Diggins says:

Enjoy your recipes. Most are easy .
    I find you are easy to listen to. You get right to the recipe. No unnecessary talk.
    Can’t wait to try this Puerto Rican recipe. 😃

3. Rose says:

There are no beans listed in the ingredients or the cooking instructions, really would like to print this recipe

It is there now. Sorry, it is 1 pound dry beans precooked or 5 cans.

4. kkgarcia1 says:

Hi Jill, You don’t have beans in list of recipe items…. is it a pound pre-cooked?

Thank you for catching that. One pound dry beans precooked or 5 cans.

Liked by 1 person

5. Heather says:

Stupid question, but are the potatoes pre-cooked prior to adding them to the pan?

6. kelly says:

This dish was full of flavor and very delicious!

7. DAVE says:

Potatoes sizes vary quite a bit. Is this 2 big russets?

I would say they were medium sized russet.

8. Love your videos. I’m looking forward to trying more recipes. As for this recipe, I followed the recipe exactly — with the exception of I used olive oil instead of water when sauteing and I used chicken broth instead of water as well (I’m not a totally strict vegan).

Anyway, I “simmered” it for 20 minutes and everything in the recipe came out great — except for the potatoes. They were still crunchy, which I don’t like. I suggest that people chop up and then parboil the potatoes for 5-6 minutes BEFORE adding them to the recipe for the 20 minute simmer period. That’s one detail I’ve learned from doing this dish.

Overall all, though, I really like this recipe.

1. Frances says:

Shoot, wish I noticed this comment before I cooked this. Potatoes are crunchy. What could I do, pull them out and cooks separately?

I would cover it with a lid and cook for a few minutes more.

2. I’m going to stick with my suggestion to parboil the potatoes. Five to six minutes should do it. If you like potatoes crunchy (I don’t), five minutes will have an al dente like bite approximately. But, each to his own Jill Dalton’s suggestion may be a good one but I still think they will be crunchy. I want them really soft but still having “structural integrity.”