Vegan Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp powdered agar agar
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 4 hours.
- Drain the cashews and add to a blender along with the remaining ingredients except for the thickener ingredients and blend until silky smooth.
- Add the thickening ingredients to a saucepan and bring up to a boil while whisking.
- Once mixture starts to boil turn heat down a bit to keep it at a steady low boil.
- Whisk for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid from blender container and turn blender on low. Pour thickening mixture into the cheese mixture in the blender while it is running and blend until incorporated.
- Quickly pour into a silicone bread pan or cheese mold (or parchment lined bread pan).
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to firm up.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.