Vegan Upside Down Cinnamon Rolls
- Add the water, yeast and date syrup to a mixing bowl and stir. Let sit for about 5 minutes to proof.
- Stir in the whole wheat flour and salt and knead for a few minutes until the dough feels smooth and satiny.
- Place dough ball back into the mixing bowl, cover with a tea towel and let rise for at least 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a clean countertop and then roll out dough into a 10 x 16 inch rectangle with a rolling pin.
- Spread the date syrup onto the dough rectangle and then sprinkle on the cinnamon and raisins.
- Starting from the 10 inch end start gently rolling the dough. When you get to the other 10 inch end pinch the dough end into the roll to seal the "tube".
- Gently slice in a sawing motion 1 1/4 inch slices so that you have 7 rolls.
- Place the toasted pecans into the bottom of a 9 inch cake pan or parchment lined 9 inch pie plate.
- Mix the date syrup, peanut butter and water together until well mixed.
- Pour mixture over the pecans in the pan.
- Place rolls on top of the pecan mixture with one of the cut sides facing up, equally spaced to fill the pan.
- Cover with tea towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Once out of the oven let cool for a few minutes and then flip them out onto a plate or cake stand so that the pecan layer becomes the top.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to a week.