Pulled Pork Style BBQ Mushroom Sancwich
This super easy vegan pulled pork style BBQ mushroom sandwich has become an instant classic. The tender strips of pulled King mushroom and onion filling simmered in a rich smoky BBQ sauce makes for the ultimate summer meal. This is a must try recipe!
Complement Supplements: our viewers SAVE 15% OFF at checkout with code: PlantBasedEasy
Wellbean: our viewers SAVE $5 OFF at checkout with code: PlantBasedEasy
Herbal Face Food: our viewers SAVE 20% OFF at checkout with code: PlantBasedEasy
- 8 ounces king mushrooms , shredded
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 cup vegetable broth, low sodium
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup deglet dates
- 3 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ¾ cup water
- 4 burger buns
- Sauté the onions for at least 5 minutes using the vegetable broth a couple tablespoons at a time to keep the onions from sticking.
- Remove a half cup of the onions and set aside for the BBQ sauce.
- Add the shredded mushrooms to the onions and cook until mushrooms and onions are caramelized, at least 10 minutes using the rest of the vegetable broth to keep it from sticking.
- Add the BBQ sauce ingredients along with the reserved onions to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour half of the BBQ sauce onto the cooked onion and mushroom mixture and cook for a few minutes.
- Spoon mixture onto buns.
- Store remaining BBQ sauce in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for the next time you make these or to add to other meals. Will keep in fridge for a bit over a week.
Love this FREE recipe? Help us make more!Become a Supporting Member today!
Calories: 330kcalCarbohydrates: 68gProtein: 11gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 697mgPotassium: 1006mgFiber: 8gSugar: 31gVitamin A: 1188IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 137mgIron: 5mg
What type of bun did you use? Looking for a decent gf bun. ☺️
It was a vegan pretzel bun from Pretzilla. Not the greatest but it was the only vegan bun we could find when we made this.
Hey Jill – was wondering what I could do instead of the molasses as I’m a True North eater…date syrup? But that would miss something….maybe that and a balsamic something??? Any ideas? Thanks so much!
The date syrup would be the closest in flavor for sure.
I’ll try it. Thank you!!!
This is delicious! I have been wanting to incorporate more mushrooms into my routine and this is a winner of a way to do so! My store didn’t have the King mushrooms so I took a chance and subbed large portabellas. I scraped out the gills and sliced thinly to match the onions. Worked perfectly. I’m glad I didn’t let not finding King mushrooms deter me! Thank you for a delicious and easy sandwich, Jill!
It took me a while to get the rhythm of shredding the king oyster mushrooms. Don’t be deterred! Use a heavy fork and scrape them length wise and whatever doesn’t fall apart just pull them apart! Fourth time making them now – I love the healthy BBQ sauce!