Watermelon Jerky

by Jill Dalton

This vegan watermelon jerky recipe is truly hard to believe until you try it. The thick slices of juicy watermelon dehydrate down to chewy, sweet, smoky, & peppery strips of jerky that are addictive from the first bite. This simple recipe will take the sumptuous summer treat of watermelon to the next level. We think this is the best vegan jerky we have ever tasted!

This show was brought to you in part by our sponsors:

• Complement – Our viewers save 15% OFF your order with code: WFPB15

Watermelon Jerky

Print Recipe
Prep Time: Cooking Time:
Nutrition facts: 200 calories 20 grams fat
Rating: 3.8/5
( 13 voted )

Ingredients

1 watermelon
Braggs liquid aminos or low sodium soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cracked pepper

Instructions

1. Slice watermelon into 1/2 inch thick strips,
  2. Place onto dehydrator trays with the screen.
  3. Spritz or brush Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce onto watermelon strips.
  4. Mix spices together and sprinkle lightly onto each watermelon strip.
  5. Place trays into dehydrator and bake at 135°F (57°C) for 24 hours or until desired chewiness.
  6. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Take a picture and share the love? Tag me on Instagram at @wholefoodplantbasedcookingshow

You may also like

8 comments

Carla July 10, 2022 - 2:38 pm

This looks AWESOME! I have a dehydrator but I don’t have the trays. Any chance I could bake this in the oven or will I not be able to get the same consistency?

Jill Dalton July 22, 2022 - 9:29 am

Yes, just put the oven on the lowest temp that it can go. Put the melon on parchment lined baking trays and bake for 10 hours, flip and bake until desired texture.

Carol Bratlien July 11, 2022 - 9:21 am

If you don’t have a dehydrator, could you use your oven instead?

Jill Dalton July 22, 2022 - 9:28 am

Yes, just put it on the lowest temp that it can go. Put the melon on parchment lined sheets and bake for 10 hours, flip and bake till texture desired.

Jill Dalton July 22, 2022 - 9:29 am

Karen July 17, 2022 - 5:25 am

My dehydrator is smaller and round, not large and square like yours, and I don’t have those screen things. Will this still work in my machine? The jerky looks pretty amazing, by the way!

Jill Dalton July 22, 2022 - 9:25 am

CMM July 21, 2022 - 5:21 pm

I made this, they were really easy to make, I really liked it and plan to make it again. But, I gave tastes to 6 other people (2 of them are Nutritarian or plant based) and none of them were too excited. I’ll admit, I didn’t think too much of the first taste I had either, but the taste grows on you as you eat them.

BTW – I ordered this dehydrator 4 years ago, still love it, it has never let me down and shockingly it is still the same price on Amazon as it was 4 years ago – go figure. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FUOAFHI/

My favorite thing to make in the dehydrator is the Kale Chips, a recipe by Megan Pugh (looks like the link is behind a pay wall – https://www.drfuhrman.com/recipes/2283/dehydrated-kale-chips). I use a recipe from Dr. Fuhrman. I also use these sheets on 5 of the racks when I make the kale. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M348F5C/ The sheets make clean up a lot easier.
I didn’t use the sheets for the watermelon jerky as I wanted the air to flow top and bottom, as Jill stated. And I didn’t want to have the pieces stick to the grating. But next time I think I will use the sheets on top of the grate and dry the watermelon jerky even further.

Share your thoughts