Vegetable Stew is the perfect dish to enjoy on a cool winter evening. This filling Plant Based Vegan stew is loaded with veggies cooked in a rich comforting broth that will fill your home with its herby aroma.
Complement Supplements: our viewers SAVE 15% OFF at checkout with code: PlantBasedEasy
Wellbean: our viewers SAVE $5 OFF at checkout with code: PlantBasedEasy
Herbal Face Food: our viewers SAVE 20% OFF at checkout with code: PlantBasedEasy
Growing Spaces – Our viewers save 5% OFF your order!
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 liter vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 teaspoons Bragg liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté onions, celery and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Add red wine to deglaze pan and cook for a couple minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and a little bit of vegetable broth.
- Add the onion and mushroom mixture along with all of the remaining ingredients to a dutch oven or casserole dish with a lid, pressing the rosemary sprig lightly into the broth.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until potatoes and carrots are slightly soft.
- Remove lid and bake another 15 minutes.
- Optional: If you would like a thicker broth, stir 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or arrowroot powder into 1/4 cup of water and stir it into the broth before baking.
Love this FREE recipe? Help us make more!Become a Supporting Member today!
Calories: 154kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 5gFat: 0.4gSaturated Fat: 0.1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.01gSodium: 82mgPotassium: 846mgFiber: 5gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 6899IUVitamin C: 29mgCalcium: 41mgIron: 2mg
I love the recipe but am concerned about the high temperature used to cook it. Doesn’t cooking at high temperatures cause damage to the nutrients in our food?
I was under the impression that potatoes should not be cooked at a temperature higher than 350 degrees F.
The vegetables won’t get above 212F/100C as they are effectively submerged in liquid that doesn’t get above that temperature.
Wonderfu, love your recipesl. Braggs – should it be on list?
Looks so yummy. Quick question…are you using dried herbs/spices (i.e. parsley, thyme and sage)?
What size dutch oven did you use?
Dried herbs and I think the dish is a 2 qt. ( unfortunately a little too small)
Just made and added a parsnip and used kale instead of parsley. Your recipe is excellent.
What brand of low-sodium Vegetable broth? Most have oil in them???
Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth, 32 oz
I made this tonight and we loved it!
What’s a good low-sodium substitute for the Bragg’s liquid aminos? I’m on a low sodium diet and that has way too much for me. Thanks!
Low sodium soy sauce or tamari
Could you suggest a substitution for the red wine? Or should I just leave it out? Thanks for your help and your recipe!
You can just leave it out
This stew is delicious. I have made it twice, the first time I didn’t have red wine, this time I did. The red wine, a dash of ume plum wine and liquid smoke rocked it! I also added some green peas just because.
I love your recipes!
I’m making this tonight and it smells great! I am cooking it on the stove because I don’t have a dutch oven big enough.I’ll let you know how it comes out. I’ll cook it until the carrots are soft.
This stew was really good. My only problem was the potatoes and carrots did not cook in the oven. As a result I had to boil this a a bit on the stove. Can’t figure out what I did wrong but I love the stew.
Yeah, sometimes the carrots and potatoes take a bit longer to cook, depending on the size and type. I find that it actually does better to be cooked for 1 hour or more.
Making this recipe for the second time. Absolutely a hearty & tasty dish! Tyfs