Italian Tofu Bake
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu, sliced in half
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces frozen spinach
- 14 ounce tomatoes, chopped
- 6 ounce tomato paste
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, diced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons Bragg liquid aminos, or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon tarragon, optional
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ½ cup red wine, or more vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté onions, mushrooms, and red pepper together until the the mushrooms are sweated out and the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic halfway through cooking the onion mixture.
- Add the frozen spinach to the pan with the onion mixture when it is done cooking so the residual heat will start to wilt the spinach.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir in the cooked vegetable mixture.
- Ladle a few spoonfuls of this mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Place the tofu on top of the sauce in the baking dish and poke a bunch of holes in the tofu so that it will soak up more of the sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the tofu.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Blend the sauce ingredients in the blender.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu and vegetables.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Serve over noodles, potatoes or rice.