Strawberry Shortcake is the absolute perfect summer recipe! With fresh, juicy strawberries being in season, it is the perfect light desert to finish off any summer dinner. The benefits of this Plant Based Vegan recipe is that it is gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free.
1 cup cashews
1/3 cup pitted dates
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
1 cup organic rolled oats
3/4 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup pitted dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk of your choice
2 small pitted dates
2 teaspoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
1/3 cup water
1 pound strawberries (save three for the sauce and a few for slicing to decorating the tops. Cut the rest into small chunks)
- Soak the cashews and dates from the cream topping ingredients in water for 2 hours and then drain off the water before using.
- Blend them together with the vanilla and 1/2 cup of water until smooth and creamy and then put it in the fridge for assembly later.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- For the cake, lightly grind the rolled oats into a flour, in the blender.
- Add to a mixing bowl along with the almond flour, baking powder and soda and stir well.
- Place the dates, vanilla and plant milk into the blender and blend until the dates are completely pulverized.
- Pour into a silicone muffin tin or a muffin tin lined with muffin papers. Fill each compartment about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Makes 12.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then let cool thoroughly on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, cut the tops off of each cake keeping the tops.
- Blend the sauce ingredients in a blender until dates are pulverized.
- Pour into a saucepan and heat gently until mixture thickens slightly like a gel.
- Place the strawberries that are cut into chunks into a bowl and stir in the sauce.
- To assemble, place the bottom of one of the cakes onto a plate and add a layer of the cream topping with a piping bag or spread it on with a knife.
- Add a layer of the chunked strawberries in sauce to the top of the cream layer.
- Place the top of the cake on top of the strawberry layer.
- Then add more cream topping to the top and decorate with sliced strawberry pieces.
- Do the same with each cake.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. (Cream topping will turn a slightly grey color after the first day because there are no preservatives to keep it fresh looking)