Broccoli and Cheese Soup is one of the comforting creamy soups that my kids used to love to eat before we went Plant Based so I knew I needed to create a vegan version that is not just full of flavor but is also super nutritious. By using potatoes, carrots, and nutritional yeast I was able to create that thick creamy cheesiness without using any of the dairy products that the traditional recipe calls for.
This recipe is brought to you in part by our sponsors:
1 onion, diced
2 cups (320g) potatoes, cubed
1/2 cup (75g) carrots, chopped
2 liters low sodium vegetable broth
6 cups (546g) broccoli florets
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup (30g) nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Sauté the onions until translucent, using a little bit of veggie broth if they start to stick.
- Boil the potatoes and carrots in a separate pan until they are soft, 10-15 minutes.
- Once the onions are translucent, add one of the liters of veggie broth and the broccoli and cook on medium high until the broccoli is just about soft.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots once they are done cooking and add them to a blender along with the other liter of veggie broth.
- Blend until smooth.
- Once broccoli is almost soft, add the blender mixture along with the remaining ingredients and cook for 10 minutes.