When it is cold outside and you are looking for a comforting plant-based dish to warm you up, Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is definitely a winner. This veggie filled casserole topped with creamy mashed potatoes brings the cozy and will satisfy even the most robust of appetites. As with all our recipes, this recipe is gluten-free, refined oil-free, and low in sodium.
This recipe is brought to you in part by our sponsors:
3/4 cups dry lentils (cooked in 2 1/2 cups water for 15 minutes)
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cups cauliflower, diced
3 carrots, diced
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup red wine
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons tahini
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup peas
6 cups yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3/4 cup soy milk (or unsweetened plant milk of choice)
2 teaspoons Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
- Fill a saucepan with water and add the potatoes.
- Boil until potatoes are soft.
- Sauté onions for 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, cauliflower and red wine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in remaining filling ingredients as well as the cooked lentils and cook for a few minutes.
- Once potatoes are finished cooking, drain off water and mash with a potato masher.
- Stir the nutritional yeast, soy milk and Braggs into the mashed potatoes.
- Pour filling mixture into a large casserole dish.
- Add the mashed potatoes to the top of the filling by adding one scoopful at a time.
- Use the back of a spoon or butter knife to smooth the mashed potatoes so that it completely covers the filling.
- Use a fork to press a design into the entire mashed potato surface.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.
- Turn on the broil setting for a few minutes to brown the surface, watching carefully so it doesn't burn.