Zuppa Toscana is a delicious Tuscan soup that is typically made with kale, potatoes, some type of sausage and broth. It is so packed with flavor that it has become my favorite soup to eat and I am very happy to share my plant based version of this amazing recipe. You can eat it in its original brothy form or, if you want to step it up a notch, add the simple cashew cream mixture at the end.
This recipe is brought to you in part by our sponsors:
1 large yellow onion, diced
6 cups yukon gold or russet potatoes, cubed
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups kale, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 liters vegetable stock
1/2 cup cashews
2 cups water
- Sauté the onions until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic and the kale and cook down for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices. Chop or crush the fennel seeds first.
- Add the potatoes and broth and cook on medium high until potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast.
- If you want to make it creamy: Blend the cashews and water and add to the soup.
- Let it cook for another 5 minutes.