This is THE pumpkin pie you have been looking for! You won’t believe this rich and creamy pie is whole food plant based and gluten-free, refined sugar-free and oil-free. Even your non-plant-based family members will enjoy it. Make a healthy choice this holiday season for the whole family!
This recipe is brought to you in part by our sponsors:
2 cups (240g) almond flour or meal
3 tablespoons flax meal
1/3 cup (78ml) water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 14 ounce can (396g) of pumpkin puree or 1 3/4 cups mashed cooked pumpkin
1 1/3 cups (300g) pitted dates
3/4 cup (180ml) unsweetened soy milk (or plant milk of your choice)
1/4 cup (36g) arrowroot powder or corn starch
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup (140g) cashews
1/2 - 3/4 cups (118 - 177ml) water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Before you start, soak the cashews and dates for the cashew cream in a bowl of water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° (180°C).
- For the crust, mix the almond flour and flax together and add the vinegar and water slowly until it forms a ball.
- Press this mixture into the bottom and sides of an 8 1/2 inch pie plate to form the crust.
- Poke a few holes in the bottom with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Add the filling ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into the baked crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Pour the water off of the cashews and dates for the cashew cream.
- Add all of the cashew cream ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Let the pie cool.
- Serve each slice of pie with a spoonful of the cashew cream on top.