Like many families in America, one of our favorite indulgent treats was that special time of year when the Girl Scouts came around selling Girl Scout Cookies and there was one cookie in particular that we just had to have: Thin Mints. There was something about Thin Mints that once you opened the box and started eating them you just had to continue until the box was gone. But alas Thin Mints are loaded with junk ingredients so I have conjured up this decadent rendition of Thin Mint flavor in a heavenly plant based cake! This cake is vegan, refined sugar & oil free, and gluten-free and made in three layers so it is like eating three Thin Mint cookies all at once.
This recipe is brought to you in part by our sponsors:
1 cup almond meal/flour
2 heaping cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup black cocoa powder (or regular cocoa powder)
1 1/2 cup pitted dates
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 cups soy milk or plant milk of your choice
2 cups cashews (soaked for 2 hours)
1 cup soy milk or plant based milk of your choice
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon black cocoa powder or regular cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 cup pitted dates
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grind oats in a blender into a flour.
- Add the oat flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powders into a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Blend the dates, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and soy milk in a blender until there are no more date chunks.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture equally into 3 - 9 inch round cake pans that have been lightly oiled. No need for oiling if you are using silicone baking pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cakes are firm.
- Blend the frosting ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Once cakes have baked let them cool completely on a baking rack.
- Once cooled, place the first cake on a cake stand or plate.
- Scoop out about 1 cup of the frosting and frost the top of that cake.
- Place the second cake on top of the first.
- Frost the top of this cake just like the first.
- Place the third cake on top of the second cake and frost the entire cake.
- Will keep in the fridge for up to a week.