Vegan Lasagna is the ultimate comfort food. This white sauce version offers an alternative to the traditional red sauce and is gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and oil-free! Layers of zucchini noodles, mushrooms, greens, onions, and a cheesy delicious white sauce are sure to satisfy and bring some much needed comfort in these crazy times. If you ever felt intimidated by making lasagna fear not, this version is much simpler to make and will have you feeling like a superstar home chef.
4 medium size zucchini
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 - 8 ounce containers of mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch of kale
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, diced
1 - 2 cups fresh basil
1 cup cashews
1 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mandolin slice zucchini.
- Lay zucchini slices onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cook the onions and mushrooms together on medium high heat until all of the moisture is wicked out, adding a little water only if onions and mushrooms start sticking to the pan.
- Add a cup of water to a saucepan along with the kale, garlic, onion powder and sundried tomatoes and cook until kale is soft.
- Once the zucchini is done baking, line one layer in the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- Pour the kale mixture over that layer making sure to drain all of the liquid off of the kale first.
- Pour a little of the sauce over the kale.
- Place another layer of zucchini over the kale.
- Pour the onion/mushroom mixture over that layer and pour a little of the sauce on top.
- Layer more zucchini.
- Roughly chop or tear the basil leaves and place on top of the zucchini layer.
- Another layer of zucchini.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the whole lasagna and bake for 1 hour.