If you grew up in America, you probably remember Sloppy Joes. Most schools would have this sandwich in regular rotation in their cafeterias. Typically it is made of ground beef and cooked in a barbecue flavored sauce and served on a hamburger bun. We have created a Plant Based Vegan version of this sandwich using crumbled tofu, onions and mushrooms to replace the ground beef and cooked it in a delicious sweet and smokey flavored sauce.
8 ounces mushrooms, diced
1 onion, diced
14 ounces firm tofu
6 ounces tomato paste
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
3 medjool dates
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Braggs liquid amino acids
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Drain and crumble tofu and spread evenly on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Fry onions and mushrooms on medium high heat until onions are translucent, between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Blend sauce ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Pour mixture into the pan with the onions and mushrooms.
- Add the baked tofu to the pan.
- Cook until the sauce is well absorbed into the onion/mushroom mixture, between 10 and 15 minutes.
- Scoop a spoonful onto the bottom of a hamburger bun and top with the other half of the bun.