Summer time is the perfect season for a cheesy and delicious casserole. This dish is rich and flavorful and can serve a family of four with leftovers to spare for lunch tomorrow. The beans and rice are hearty and satisfying and the cheese sauce makes for the ultimate comfort food.
2 cups uncooked brown rice
3 cups water
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 red peppers, diced
1 4-ounce can green chilis
8-ounces frozen spinach
2 15-ounce cans black beans
1 15-ounce can pinto beans
1/2 cup salsa
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup cashews
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook the rice in the 3 cups of water for 25 minutes (it should be slightly undercooked).
- Sauté the onions and peppers for 10 minutes with a tablespoon of water to keep them from sticking to the pan.
- Add the garlic and spinach and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the beans, salsa and spices and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the rice into a 9 x 13" casserole dish.
- Pour the vegetable mixture over the top and gently stir it into the rice.
- Pour the sauce over everything and gently stir to get the sauce to go all the way to the bottom.
- Bake for 40 minutes.