The world is just a better place when there is cake in it and this Hummingbird cake is going to sing straight to your heart. Zero oil, zero refined sugars AND gluten free! This cake is so delicious that it will even impress your non-vegan friends and family. The balance between the sweetness of the pineapple and bananas, the tartness of the creamy frosting and the rich toasted flavor of the walnuts will make this your “go to” cake for any special occasion.
3 1/2 cups rolled oats ground lightly into flour (over grinding will prevent bread from baking through)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups mashed bananas (4 bananas)
1 cup crushed pineapple
3 flax eggs (3 Tbsp flax meal + 6 Tbsp water)
2 cups dates
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups walnuts or pecans (toast in 350° oven for about 5 minutes)
2 cups cashews ( soaked in 4 cups water for 2 hours)
4 medjool dates or 8 deglet dates
juice of one small lemon
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the flax meal and water together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix together the oat flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Blend the dates, almond milk and vanilla in the blender until smooth.
- Stir the blended mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the flax egg, mashed bananas and pineapple.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups of the walnuts.
- Divide mixture between 3 parchment lined cake pans (9 inch)
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool
- Add all frosting ingredients except for the 2 Tbsp of water to blender and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining water if necessary while blending frosting.
- Place cake on a cake tray or plate.
- Smooth on about 1/2 cup of the frosting onto the top of that cake.
- Add second cake to the top of that.
- Smooth on about 1/2 cup of frosting onto the top of that cake.
- Add third cake and use remaining frosting to frost entire top and sides.
- Sprinkle remaining walnuts on top of cake.
- Keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.