Mashed Potatoes are the perfect comfort food, but top them with a creamy mushroom gravy and you will bring this dish to heavenly status! One of my favorite meals that both my mom and grandma used to make included a huge serving of mashed potatoes and gravy. My version of their recipe is Plant Based Vegan and Oil Free. Using almond milk instead of regular milk and nutritional yeast to give it that buttery flavor.
6-8 medium sized russet potatoes
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp Braggs liquid amino acids
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Chop potatoes into chunks.
- Place potatoes into large pan full of water and bring to a boil (or pressure cook for 8 minutes).
- Simmer until potatoes are soft, 10-15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes.
- Add the onion powder, pepper, nutritional yeast and Braggs to the pan.
- Add most of the milk and mash mixture with a hand potato masher or a handheld mixer.
- Add remaining milk if necessary to get to your preferred consistency.
- Cook mushrooms in a saucepan until all of the moisture is sweated out.
- Blend the cashews and water until smooth.
- Pour mixture into the saucepan with the mushrooms and add the Braggs, balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika and onion powder.
- Cook over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and stir until thickness preferred.
- Remove from heat once desired thickness is achieved.