Vegan Lentil Flatbread

by Jill Dalton

Curries and stews just aren’t the same without a nice piece of flatbread to dip with. This plant based vegan lentil flatbread recipe couldn’t be any simpler. With just two ingredients, these are super quick to whip up for any meal of the day. They work great for sopping up the gravy left in your bowl or as a bread substitute for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

Vegan Lentil Flatbread

Curries and stews just aren’t the same without a nice piece of flatbread to dip with. This plant based vegan lentil flatbread recipe couldn’t be any simpler. With just two ingredients, these are super quick to whip up for any… Breads & Sides Vegan Lentil Flatbread European Print Recipe
Nutrition facts: 200 calories 20 grams fat
Rating: 3.5/5
( 298 voted )

Ingredients

1 cup red lentils
2 cups water

Instructions

1. Soak the lentils in the water for 3 hours.
  2. Pour into a blender and blend until creamy.
  3. Preheat a nonstick pan or griddle on medium high.
  4. Pour a ladle full into pan and swirl into a nice circle.
  5. Cook until bubbles pop in batter, similar to cooking pancakes.
  6. Flip and cook on other side.
  7. Eat immediately or store in a tupperware container in the fridge for up to a week.

You may also like

47 comments

Donna May 3, 2020 - 3:17 pm

Oh, I’m definitely making this this week! Thank you!

trish June 5, 2020 - 2:37 pm

Hi Jill, I made these but they were a little too dense. Should I just increase the amount of water used? Nice flavour tho

Hilary Bloom June 13, 2020 - 5:23 pm

Hi Jill. Do you think yellow lentils will work as good as the red?

Jill Dalton June 14, 2020 - 9:03 am

I think they will work but the taste will be much stronger.

Amadoma June 17, 2020 - 6:45 pm

I soaked the lentils for 7 hours. The batter stuck to two different nonstick pans! The Flatbread was too thick and runny in the middle. Disaster! I wasted my lentils. Glad I started with half of the ingredients as a test. I thought I geard 3 or more hours. Waz the problem that I soaked them too long. I am very disappointed!

Marji June 21, 2020 - 12:53 pm

My friend did the same thing she soaked it overnight ~ stuck to pan but worked in a waffle iron

Kathi May 3, 2020 - 3:42 pm

About how many does it make?

Jill Dalton May 5, 2020 - 10:12 am

It just depends on the size you are making them. I was able to make 8 =)

Rick May 4, 2020 - 10:43 am

Would green lentils work with this? If so, what would change in the preparation (if anything). Thank you.

Jill Dalton May 5, 2020 - 10:11 am

I haven’t tried making them with regular lentils yet =)

WearYourMask September 19, 2020 - 7:55 pm

No, they need to be a split lentil, either red or yellow. I’ve tried both and they work fine. Indian cooks us the split dahl also. I let mine soak overnight. You just have to watch them cooking in the pan, not too hot or mine have stuck.

Diana Bähler May 7, 2020 - 6:21 pm

Are these split red lentils Jill?

Jill Dalton May 7, 2020 - 6:37 pm

FRAn May 8, 2020 - 9:07 am

How would you eat this ? What does it taste like?

Jill Dalton May 9, 2020 - 10:13 am

I use it instead of bread so I toast it and put peanut butter on it. We also eat it with soup or any kind of meal that has sauce to dunk in =)

Chuck Sereika May 10, 2020 - 9:38 am

Seems like a simple and fun recipe. I can hardly believe that you can get bread from lentils and water, it’s amazing. I think I’ll try it but not with a non-stick pan, I’d rather have the oil in a cast iron pan than the chemicals in a non-stick pan. Your show is great, I’m really glad I found it.

Truus Ruys June 15, 2020 - 1:15 pm

User parchment / baking paper in the cast iron pan and it works as non stick

Carol May 15, 2020 - 5:50 pm

Hi Jill, Would this work with just medium heat cooked longer? I tried it last night and the medium high heat melted my spatula to my non stick pan. I tried cleaning it using hints from the internet without success. Do you have a favorite spatula that works with high heat? And a favorite non-stick pan? I expect to replace both soon. It was fun though and I would try it again.

Jill Dalton May 17, 2020 - 1:01 pm

Hello Carol, I am using this non-stick griddle.
So far, it seems to be pretty good and it is supposed to be a much safer cooking surface than most non-stick pans. It doesn’t seem to have a problem with my plastic spatula. Nothing special, just one from my local grocery store.

Vianett May 28, 2020 - 8:35 pm

Hello Jill do you have by any chance the nutrition facts label ?

Jill Dalton May 31, 2020 - 9:58 am

I don’t, sorry

Daniel Foley June 9, 2020 - 8:33 am

Look at the nutrition facts of the lentils and divide by how many flatbreads you make…Very simple

Trish June 16, 2020 - 10:06 pm

I made these tonight and had some trouble. The non-stick pan I used definitely wasn’t non-stick with these. I had a sticky gloopy mess. So the next one I used a piece of parchment and that allowed me to cook and flip, but they never seemed to get done on the inside…unless it’s suppose to be sort of wet/moist inside? The last one I made on my George Foreman grill with ceramic plates. It got golden and crispy outside, but was still more like a moist pancake inside. Let me know if that’s how they are supposed to be. I love the idea of these and want to try to make some different flavors.

Jill Dalton June 17, 2020 - 9:29 am

Not sure why they turned out that way.Maybe pour off a little bit of the liquid before blending. It sounds like they might just be a little too watery.

Susi June 4, 2020 - 2:15 pm

Could these be baked on parchment paper in the oven?

Jill Dalton June 5, 2020 - 10:44 am

TERESA June 5, 2020 - 12:44 pm

Watched you on Chef AJ and was thrilled to find out about you and your recipes, etc. xoxoxoxo You are darling. LOVED all you shared. And this recipe is GREAT. I only had brown lentils so made them with the non-reds. Anxious to try them with red lentils. The brown tasted lentilly, which is fine, but from what you said, the red ones will have a lighter flavor. THANK YOU!

Myriah June 8, 2020 - 4:13 pm

Fantastic! My non vegan husband (who I give a lot of props to because he tries and likes a lot of my foods) said when he tried one “Oh yes, all day long!” So simple. What do you put on yours?

Silas Richardson June 8, 2020 - 10:05 pm

How many carbs per piece of bread?

Joy Thomas June 10, 2020 - 10:07 am

This recipe is a real find! For an experiment, I salted the top (bad me) and also added nutritional yeast. Very yum. This makes a perfect protein snack when you need a bite of something savory. It’s also great for serving beside a pile of veggis or sopping up sauces, Ethiopian style. Thanks.

Janis Hedges June 10, 2020 - 12:14 pm

This might be a silly question, but do you drain and rinse the lentils after soaking, or blend with the soak water?

Janis Hedges June 10, 2020 - 2:50 pm

Oooops, I found my answer when watching the video.

dana June 12, 2020 - 6:00 am

can I use ready made flour, instead of the whole lentils? how much? thanks

Jill Dalton June 12, 2020 - 9:17 am

I haven’t tried that so I’m not sure but I would try it. Maybe 1 cup flour and then just add water until it is pancake batter consistency.

Hope June 13, 2020 - 4:09 pm

Can I soak them just for 2 hours instead?

Jill Dalton June 14, 2020 - 9:04 am

You can try it.It will probably work just fine.

Kim Pinali June 14, 2020 - 3:54 pm

What kind of blender do you have?

Jill Dalton June 15, 2020 - 6:18 pm

It is a Blendtec Professional 800

Al June 15, 2020 - 3:08 pm

I made these and here are some observations:

1st time: I used green lentils because I didn’t have red – followed recipe to the letter. It worked, it was crazy how fast and easy they were, but they were a little bland (not that I care, but I wouldn’t share them with someone unless there was a wow factor).

2nd time:
Green lentils again, skipped the soak time since I have a vitamix – it worked fine.
Added veggie broth instead of water – also a good choice.
Added nutrional yeast – I put it on everything but ice cream.
Topped with light coating of hummus, chopped tomatoes, avocado, and fresh sprouts – shared it with a friend and she was shocked at how good and healthy this was. We were both left stunned at how quickly this awesome meal came together.

This is definitely a great way to make some good clean bread-like food that’s healthy and protein packed. I’ll definitely be doing this again.

Patsy June 16, 2020 - 12:21 pm

Trying for first time and on high and medium high heat was gummy inside. On medium heat lt cook for at least 4 minutes. Cook longer or does middle firm up?

Jill Dalton June 17, 2020 - 9:31 am

Hmmmm, someone else just wrote in saying that they were having the same problem. I suggested trying: pour off just a little of the water before blending. Maybe the batter is just a little too watery.

Rita Stevens June 19, 2020 - 1:59 pm

I’ve seen this idea before bout your video encouraged me to try them finally. They came out perfectly! I will definitely keep these on hand. Thanks Jill!

Joanne September 18, 2020 - 2:08 pm

Thank you Jill, this recipe worked very well for me. I followed the directions and got pancake batter consistency, I cooked them like I do pancakes, made them small and got 18 from the one cup of lentils. I plan to keep these on hand.

Cheryl June 22, 2020 - 5:19 pm

I soaked 1 cup red lentils in 2 cups waster for 3 hours. Did not drain them. Put them in Vitamix blender and they are just super watery. What did I do wrong??? I’m pretty sure you said to look for a pancake batter like thickness.

Merve August 7, 2020 - 6:31 am

I tried this super simple but super healthy recipe and I’m enjoying iy right now. As a family with a big crush with lentils, we are thankful to you🙏🏻

Jennifer August 8, 2020 - 8:50 pm

OMG! Just tried these for the first time and — because I don’t own a non-stick pan — decided to try using my pizzelle iron…Absolutely amazing AND beautiful! Cooked perfectly on both sides because both sides cook at the same time! Love love love this recipe!

Ophelia October 1, 2020 - 8:19 pm

This recipe is amazing! I added a bunch of spices and turned it into a wrap… so delicious and filling. Worked beautifully on my cast iron pan. Thank you!!

Share your thoughts