Plant Based Mushroom Potato Soup

Looking for a satisfying, comforting soup to warm you on those cold winter evenings? Then this recipe is for you. Not only is it filling and delicious, but it is packed with nutrient dense kale and vitamin rich mushrooms. You will not be able to stop yourself from eating more than one bowl!

2 large onions finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dill weed
1 tsp onion powder
4 potatoes, cubed
2- 8 oz boxes mushrooms
1 bunch kale, finely chopped
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 cups unsweetened almond milk or plant milk of your choice
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Amino Acids

Preheat oven to 400°. Slice mushrooms and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Add 3 Tbsp water to a soup pot. Pour onions in pot and cook for 5 min. Add spices and cook for a couple minutes. Add potatoes, mushrooms, kale and vegetable broth and cook for 30 minutes. Add almond milk, nutritional yeast and Braggs. Take out about 2 cups of the soup and blend in blender. Pour back into the pot and stir.

1. MaryJoy says:

Quick question: why bake the mushrooms if they are going to be reconstituted in the soup?
    I’m new at this so maybe I am missing something?

You’re not missing anything. I’ve just learned that baking them and drying them out gives them a nicer chewy texture and they soak up flavor 🤗

2. Terry says:

Do you have a recipe foe the homemade vegetable broth?

I don’t but basically I just save veggie scraps in a ziplock in the freezer until I have enough to fill my soup pot. Then I put them in the pot, cover completely with water and cook for 30 min. Then I portion it out, one it’s cool, in Tupperware and freeze🤗

I should do a show on it eventually 👍

3. Luana says:

Thank you for this lovely soup. Love the idea of the mushrooms. What is the name of the doctor you follow please.
    Luana

Liked by 1 person

Dr Joel Fuhrman

4. Moni says:

It’s delicious! Thank you for the recipe. Had a taste tonight after I finished all cooking and can’t wait for my lunch tomorrow when I’ll have a proper bowl of this great soup! 🙂 And sooo easy!

5. Tara says:

This was the best soup ever- I absolutely loved it!! Please post more recipes- our family is glued to your website waiting for new ones!! 🙂

6. Mel says:

7. Colleen says:

This soup is fantastic! Cooking mushrooms before adding to soup is genius! Thanks Jill😊

8. Julia says:

Yum, this was so good!! The extra step with the mushrooms is well worth it — what a difference in flavor and texture!

9. Maureen Bunch says:

So so good, you are an amazing cook!

10. Laurie says:

Just made this for supper. My husband and I both liked it very much. Thank you for the recipe@

11. Louis Ziegler says:

Was wonderful, used spinach instead and some fennel crushed seeds. So glad I found your blog.