Cheese is one of the things most people tell me they have the greatest trouble giving up when they change to a plant based diet. Finding a vegan cheese that can get you through this change is a bit of a challenge. Most vegan cheeses I have tried at the grocery store are just not very good or have a terrible after taste AND they contain a lot of oil. My family really likes this recipe and I hope you will too..
This cheese recipe is great for cheese and crackers or shredding to put on the inside of a quesadilla.
I have another plain flavored cheese recipe also if you are not into the spicy stuff.
1 1/2 cups water
5 tsp powdered agar agar powder
1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup chopped red pepper
4 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp Pickled Jalapeño
- Add all ingredients except the water and agar agar to your blender.
- Boil water in a small saucepan and add agar agar powder.
- Stir until thick like gravy.
- Pour into blender and blend until everything is smooth.
- Pour into a bread pan and place into refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.