Smoky Jalapeño Cheese

Cheese is one of the things most people tell me they have the greatest trouble giving up when they change to a plant based diet. Finding a vegan cheese that can get you through this change is a bit of a challenge. Most vegan cheeses I have tried at the grocery store are just not very good or have a terrible after taste AND they contain a lot of oil. My family really likes this recipe and I hope you will too..

This cheese recipe is great for cheese and crackers or shredding to put on the inside of a quesadilla.

I have another plain flavored cheese recipe also if you are not into the spicy stuff.

Vegan Cheese

1 1/2 cups water
5 tsp powdered agar agar powder
1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup chopped red pepper
4 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp Pickled Jalapeño

Add all ingredients except the water and agar agar to your blender. Boil water in a small saucepan and add agar agar powder. Stir until thick like gravy. Pour into blender and blend until everything is smooth. Pour into a bread pan and place into refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Makes about 10 servings
37 calories each serving
2.5 grams fat

1. Rose says:

Hi Jill, I found your website today and enjoying your recipes. I am not vegan but for health reasons I was told not to take dairy or any sweetener at the moment. I am saving some of the recipes for when I can and also I will try out other recipes that I can. Thank you so much for making the videos and recipes. I appreciate it. Rose

You’re welcome 😊. I hope you enjoy the recipes that you can try.

2. Merritt says:

You’re my new favorite person! I’ve been vegetarian then vegan since 1995. But, for the past few years with so many processed fake meats on the market, not in a healthy way. Am now a Joel Fuhrman fan. Your recipes are simple, delicious, healthy, and making my life so much better. Thank you!!!!!!

I’m so glad! Joel Fuhrman’s info really is the best!

3. Rick mathieu says:

Hi, I made the jalapeno cheese today and it came out pretty “jello-y” if you know what I mean. Instead of a cheese texture, it is more “wet” and “bouncy” instead of firm and crumbly like dairy cheese is. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, did I do something wrong, or is there a way to make it more like real cheese? This was my first attempt and we don’t hate the flavor, just trying to improve the texture. Any tips?

You could try only using 1 cup of water instead of 1 1/2. The texture won’t be like dairy cheese because the chemistry is totally different.

4. Stephanie says:

Just introduing WFBP cooking to my dad who asked what to have instead if cheese for snacks. Stumbled across this recipe and we are keen to try it out!