Vegan Sugar & Gluten Free Chocolate Birthday Cake

Here it is finally, after many years of trying to make the perfect healthy chocolate cake without it tasting like a healthy cake and I know you all know what I mean there. You can either eat a vegan cake that isn’t necessarily good for you or you can eat a cake that looks like a cake but tastes like a healthy cake. Can’t we just eat our cake and not feel guilty about eating it or needing to take a nap an hour later? Yes you can! This cake will make you feel like you are cheating but trust me, it’s all goodness.

This cake is also to celebrate making it to the 10,000 subscriber mark! I would like to thank you all for helping us to get there by giving you this fabulous recipe to help us celebrate. Congratulations for choosing to eat plant based!

3/4 cups cooked and cooled sweet potato
1 cup water
1 Tsp balsamic vinegar
2 cups dates
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups banana flour
1/2 cup sweet potato flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Peel and cut up 2 sweet potatoes and boil in water until soft. Drain and cool. Add water, sweet potato, dates, balsamic and vanilla to blender and blend till smooth. Add remaining ingredients to a bowl and stir. Add blender mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir. Pour into 2 parchment paper lined cake pans and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and cool on baking racks.

Put one cake on a cake tray or plate. Spread a layer of frosting. Put second cake on top and spread remaining frosting. Decorate as desired and Dig In!

Frosting:

2 cups raw, unsalted cashews
1 cup nut milk of choice
4 Tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
9 medjool dates

Add all ingredient to blender and blend until smooth.

Links for Green banana flour and sweet potato flour:
Green Banana Flour
Sweet Potato Flour

Cake will make 10 pieces easily. Each piece has about 375 calories but they are nutrient dense calories instead of calories from empty foods like oil, sugar and flour.

1. Thanks so much for this recipe! I’ve been following your youtube channel. I don’t bake very often because being sugar free, gluten free and vegan most of the things I attempt aren’t smashingly successful and also because treats are something my body only wants once in a while. I am intrigued by banana and sweet potato flour. I have never seen those ingredients here in the US natural groceries. Thank you for all your wonderful videos!

2. Oh! Just saw the links for the special flours – great! Also, if you have a nut free frosting recipe you like, I’d love to learn of that. I am allergic to all tree nuts, flax, hemp and chia seeds. I can do tahini, peanuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Thanks again! Love seeing your kitchen halfway around the globe! 🙂

Sorry, I don’t have a nut free version of the frosting but I’m pretty sure one of my daughters made this recipe with peanuts instead and it turned out good. I would give it a try. It would also make the recipe way more affordable. Cashews are really expensive here. Good Luck!

2. Manda says:

Raw sunflower seeds usually work instead of cashews.

3. Trissy Riggs says:

I used coconut flour and it was pretty dry.
    I thought maybe a little zucchini would give it good moisture. The frosting was delicious! Thank you so much for your recipes!!!

4. Julie Prodani says:

The recipe says 3/4 cup sweet potato but you also say cut up two sweet potatoes? How much sweet potato? Thank you 🙂 I love your channel!

I said two potatoes to boil. This is to cover any size discrepancies. Then when you make the cake you measure 3/4 cup.

Liked by 1 person

5. Mark says:

I tested out my Boxiki 9-inch silicone baking pan for the first time with your chocolate cake! No parchment paper required, just turn over and the cake falls right out, no residue left in the pan. The cake tastes very good, but mine came out VERY dense, like a brownie. It felt so heavy in fact, that I just had to weigh it: 3 lbs 10 oz, which seems a lot for a cake about 2 inches tall. I even used a thermometer, left in the pan the whole baking time, so that I knew exactly when the center of the cake reached 210 F, which is supposed to be the ideal temp when a cake is done. It took 48 minutes @ 350 in my oven to reach that temp. Anyway, should the cake come out as I described, dense like a brownie? Or should it have come out more light and airy? Thank you for your recipes.

Yes, it is a bit dense. For some reason my first three cakes were a little lighter. Since then I have been getting a denser cake☹️
      It is still pretty tasty though.

2. Mark says:

FYI – Organic Green Banana Flour can now be found at Walmart in the spices/baking aisle.

That is great news!

6. Jenifer says:

Do you think I could use rice milk instead of almond milk in the frosting? We have a nut allergy in our family.

7. Melissa says:

Will this work with all-purpose flour for those of us without gluten issues? 🙂

8. Melissa says:

Will this work using all-purpose flour if we have no gluten issues?🙂

I haven’t made it with regular flour. I honestly don’t know. Sorry

9. Alexandra says:

If I can’t get sweet potato flour as I have to make for birthday cake today! What may you suggest I use in place of. I found a flour at the Asian market called green bean flour ….hmm? I have coconut flour and gluten free flour kicking around as well. Love your channel Jill. We’ve been plant based for quite sometime now. Keep the good stuff coming .

The gluten free flour will probably work the best.🤗