Mmmmmmmm. Who doesn’t love a rich creamy Indian sauce. I know our family does but most Indian sauces that are creamy use heavy cream or yogurt. Not this one. I have adapted the classic Butter Chicken recipe into a delicious Nutritarian Salt, Oil, Sugar Free Whole Food Plant Based version (wow that is a mouthful). Mushrooms replace the chicken and as Dr. Fuhrman has pointed out; cooked mushrooms can greatly reduce the chances of breast cancer! Eat up ladies and savor the comforting creamy Mushroom Butter Sauce.
2 8oz containers mushrooms roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 3oz can green chilis
1" chunk ginger 2 onions, diced
1 28oz can chopped, no salt tomatoes
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup soy milk
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 14oz container extra firm tofu 1 cup water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain and press liquid out of tofu between two paper towels.
- Cut into bit sized chunks and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add a little water to saucepan and cook the onions, garlic and mushrooms until translucent.
- Blend tomatoes, ginger, cashews and soy milk in blender until creamy.
- Add to the pan with the onion mixture and add the spices.
- Add the tofu.
- Add a cup of water and let sauce cook down until thick and creamy.