- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons green chilis, diced
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
Optional cream sauce
- ¼ cup cashews
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread eggplant cubes onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Once baked, place cubes in a tupperware container with a lid to soften the eggplant skin.
- Sauté onions until translucent using some of the vegetable broth to keep them from sticking.
- Push the onions to the side of the pan and pour garlic, ginger and spices in the open spot with a little more vegetable broth and cook for a couple minutes.
- Stir in the green chilis, raisins, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and remaining vegetable broth and cook, covered on medium high heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the eggplant and garam masala and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.
- optional: For a creamy version: Blend together 1/4 cup cashews or almonds and 1/2 cup water and stir in at the end.