This super easy vegan pulled pork style BBQ mushroom sandwich has become an instant classic. The tender strips of pulled King mushroom and onion filling simmered in a rich smoky BBQ sauce makes for the ultimate summer meal. This is a must try recipe!
Dr. Fuhrman’s research on the cancer prevention benefits of mushrooms.
This show was brought to you in part by our sponsors:
- Complement – Our viewers save 15% OFF your order with code: WFPB15
- WellBean – Our viewers save $5 OFF a variety pack with code: TryWellBean5
8 ounces (226g) king mushrooms, shredded
1 large onion, halved and sliced thin
1 cup (236ml) low sodium vegetable broth
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup (78ml) white wine vinegar
1/2 cup (112g) dates
3 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons tamari
2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup (177ml) water
- Sauté the onions for at least 5 minutes using the vegetable broth a couple tablespoons at a time to keep the onions from sticking.
- Remove a half cup of the onions and set aside for the BBQ sauce.
- Add the shredded mushrooms to the onions and cook until mushrooms and onions are caramelized, at least 10 minutes using the rest of the vegetable broth to keep it from sticking.
- Add the BBQ sauce ingredients along with the reserved onions to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour half of the BBQ sauce onto the cooked onion and mushroom mixture and cook for a few minutes.
- Spoon mixture onto buns.
- Store remaining BBQ sauce in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for the next time you make these or to add to other meals. Will keep in fridge for a bit over a week.