Hostess Cupcakes were one of those childhood treats that my husband Jeffrey grew up enjoying. I was working on cake recipes when we realized we had recreated the flavors of Hostess Cupcakes, and so this new recipe was born. This could very well be our best dessert recipe so far! It still amazes us after all these years that we can achieve this decadent flavors and textures with whole food plant based ingredients that are gluten-free, refined sugar and oil free, and absolutely delicious.
1 cup cashews
1/3 cup dates
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup dates
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup organic rolled oats
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dates
1 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (or plant milk of your choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the filling, add all filling ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- For the frosting, add all frosting ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place both filling and frosting into the refrigerator until the cupcakes are completely cooled.
- Lightly grind oats into a flour in the blender and pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda to the bowl with the oat flour and stir together.
- Add the dates, soy milk and vanilla to the blender and blend until dates are pulverized.
- Pour into the dry mixture and blend well.
- Spoon mixture into silicone muffin tin or lined muffin tin, making 9 muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool in muffin tin for a few minutes and then remove them from the tin to let them cool completely.
- Cut a wedge out of the top of each of the cupcakes to make a well for the filling.
- Put almost all of the filling into a piping bag, leaving about 2 tablespoons to put into a smaller piping bag with a small piping tip or plastic sandwich baggie. If using the sandwich baggie, cut a tiny piece off of the corner of the sandwich baggie to make a small piping hole.
- Pipe the filling from the larger piping bag into the well you made in the cupcakes, filling it up even with the top.
- Frost the top of each cupcake with the chocolate frosting, gently going over the filling so that they don't mix together.
- Using the small baggie or piping bag filled with the 2 tablespoons of the filling, pipe the swirl pattern onto the top of each cupcake.