Classic Vegan Meatloaf
- ½ cup buckwheat groats, soaked for at least 6 hours
- ½ cup quinoa, soaked for at least 6 hours
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 14 ounces black beans
- ¼ cup flax meal
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Bragg liquid aminos
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain liquid from buckwheat and quinoa and pour into food processor.
- Sauté onions mushrooms and garlic until the onions are translucent.
- Add the cabbage to the pan with the onions and mushrooms and cook until cabbage is wilted, making sure all moisture is reabsorbed.
- Pour into food processor along with remaining meatloaf ingredients and mix lightly.
- Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Add all tomato topping ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Scoop meatloaf mixture into a parchment lined bread pan and smooth top.
- Pour tomato topping mixture on top and smooth.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove meatloaf from pan and place onto a serving plate.
- Will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about 5 days.