It is apple season in North Carolina so we put them to work in this scrumptious apple pie. The tartness of the honey crisp apples paired with the rich flavor of walnuts in the crumble topping are the perfect flavors for fall. This delicious pie is plant based vegan, oil free, gluten free and refined sugar free so you can feel free to have seconds.
This recipe is brought to you in part by our sponsors:
Special Offer for the Holidays
Learn to make an entire plant based holiday feast for Thanksgiving/Christmas style dinner with our Plant Based Holiday Feast Made Easy Cooking Class on sale for 15% OFF!
2 cups almond meal
2 tablespoons flax meal
1/4 cup dates
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
5 cups apples, cut into chunks
1 cup dates
juice of half of a lemon
1 cup water
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons corn starch mixed into 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup dates
juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix crust ingredients together in a food processor until mixture is ground uniformly and it starts to stick together.
- Lightly oil a 9" pie plate.
- Press crust mixture into the bottom of the pie plate and up the edges about 1 1/2".
- Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork a few times to prevent air bubbles.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Place apple chunks into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the dates, lemon juice, water and cinnamon in a blender until smooth.
- Pour over the apples and mix well.
- Place mixture into a saucepan and cook on medium high for 15 minutes.
- Pour the corn starch mixture into the apples and stir.
- Pour the apple mixture into the the pie plate and spread evenly.
- Put the crumble ingredients into the food processor and pulse until ingredients are uniform in size, about 20 pulses.
- Spread crumble evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes.