This meal happens to be our family favorite and has been for many years, even for the years before we went plant based. The original recipe contains chicken and loads of oil so we adapted it to be oil-free plant based and wonderfully delicious. It is a comforting stew that is super filling, served over rice or steamed greens, and pairs well with our delicious lentil flatbreads.
2 large onions, quartered
28 ounces can chopped tomatoes
4 cups water
1 6oz can tomato paste
juice of one lemon
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp onion powder
Tbsp Braggs liquid amino acids
1 14oz block of firm tofu, drained and cubed
1/4 cabbage, chopped
bunch of kale, destemmed and chopped small
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place drained and cubed tofu onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add the onion and can of tomatoes to the blender and blend lightly.
- Pour mixture into a soup pot and cook on medium high.
- Add the remaining ingredients to pot and cook for 20 minutes.
- When tofu is done, add it to the pot and cook for another 20 minutes, stirring every 5 - 10 minutes.
- Cook to desired thickness.