- One SCOBY, symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 tea bags, black or green tea, or combination of both
- optional : juice concentrate
- Put one gallon of water into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat and steep tea bags for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and pour in the sugar to dissolve.
- Allow tea to cool to room temperature.
- Pour tea into gallon container and place SCOBY on top.
- Cover jar with cloth and secure with a rubber band.
- Leave on counter away from direct sunlight for 7-10 days.
- Remove SCOBY and place it on a plate temporarily.
- If you are going to flavor your kombucha, pour a little juice into the bottom of each jar.
- Ladle kombucha into jars and seal.
- If you added juice, then kombucha needs to be left to ferment for another 2-4 days.
- If it is plain flavored then you can store jars in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
- Each time you brew you will grow an additional SCOBY so you can share with a friend!